Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Welcome to 20-1-4: the year of opportunities Galore!

I wish you all a Happy, Happy New Year! 

Summer Research
I want to remind all of you that this is the time of year to begin thinking about your plans for Summer 2014. Many research programs will begin soliciting applications now with deadlines occurring between the end of January 2014 thru March 2014. This blog has some summer research programs listed for you to browse through. The most recent addition is the summer research experience for undergraduates (REU) that is available at Carnegie Mellon University and the University of Pittsburgh. 

FAFSA
Also remember if you are applying for college, that the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FASFA) is now available for the 2014-2015 school year. When I applied for college, my parents could not support me financially so I filled out a FAFSA.  Thankfully, my college tuition, housing and other fees were primarily paid using grants, loans and work study that I received in my financial aid package. Do not let the cost of attending college deter you! 

Conferences
Scientific conferences occur throughout the year. Remember to determine whether the conference you would like to attend offers travel grants/stipends. Many do, but it may be contingent on submitting an abstract to present your research (orally or as a poster). So check out 1) conference dates, 2) abstract submission deadlines, and 3) travel grant/stipend deadlines. Check out conferences here.

I am sure that there are many other things to consider and remember at this time of the year, but these three topics were immediately on my mind. If you would like to share others, send me an emailBest, Minority.Scientist

No comments:

Welcome to Minority Scientist

I'm Minority Scientist and I started this blog to
1) share useful information to assist minorities, including women and underrepresented peoples, navigate a career in scientific research and
2) explore the world of science through the eyes of someone who
pursued a PhD in the biomedical sciences as a single parent.

In the spirit of sharing, if you find info here useful for you or someone you know... pass it on! If you would like to share information, send an email to
Minority.Scientist(at) gmail.com. Thanks!

COVID-19 Updates

Science News