Sunday, January 17, 2010

Kid science

I woke up this morning and found my eight-year-old daughter watching this cool science show for kids called DragonflyTV on the PBS channel.


DragonflyTV is hosted by teenagers Mariko and Michael and showcases kids, who were about 10 to 17 years old, performing scientific investigations in their local surroundings. As I watched the show, I became so impressed by the scientific questions these kids posed, the approach they devised to test their hypotheses, and how they presented their data.  In this episode, Malformed Frogs, Susie and Katie continued to impress me as they sought out to determine why the frogs in their local pond were displaying malformed
and/or extra limbs. The most enjoyable part of viewing the program was that my daughter was excited about watching DragonflyTV.  She was genuinely interested in the experiments and results.  I found this point fascinating because my daughter joins me occasionally when I go to the lab for my own research, but she pretty much thinks that what I do as a scientist is boring. So, to see her excited about scientific research was touching. I asked my daughter why she enjoyed DragonflyTV and she said that she liked watching the kids do science.  With the curious mind that I have, I had to learn more about this DragonflyTV and found its website at http://pbskids.org/dragonflytv, where you can watch episodes of kids doing cool science, read about “real scientists,” watch videos of experiments that you can perform at home, research ideas for science fair projects and other great science-related resources for students and teachers!

No comments:

Welcome to Minority Scientist

I'm Minority Scientist and I started this blog to
1) share useful information to assist minorities, including women and underrepresented peoples, navigate a career in scientific research and
2) explore the world of science through the eyes of someone who
pursued a PhD in the biomedical sciences as a single parent.

In the spirit of sharing, if you find info here useful for you or someone you know... pass it on! If you would like to share information, send an email to
Minority.Scientist(at) gmail.com. Thanks!

COVID-19 Updates

Science News

Resourceful links

  • Association for Women in Science (AWIS)
  • HHMI Cool Science
  • LinkedIn
  • MentorNet
  • Protocol Online
  • Science.org
  • SciVee
  • TheGrio
  • Research conferences supporting minorities!

  • American Association for Cancer Research (AACR)
  • American Chemical Society (ACS)
  • American Society for Microbiology (ASM)
  • Annual Biomedical Research Conference for Minority Students (ABRCMS)
  • New England Science Symposium (NESS)
  • Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans (SACNAS)
  •